[Zope] RH9 experiences

Dennis Allison allison@sumeru.stanford.EDU
Mon Aug 4 15:45:16 EDT 2003

I am bringing up a new system (dual Athlon, RAID, 4GB memory, etc) and
have been planning to use RH9 with Zope fronted by Pound.  That
configuration has been a good one for us under RH7.3, but I decided
RH9 was a better choice because it has a longer support lifetime and
because it supports CPU affinity.

Several people reported here that they had problems with RH9 and threads
but that upgrading to the latest version of glibc and the kernel (and,
possibly, exporting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1) would make everything work.

So, I rebuilt Python 2.1.3 and Pound under RH9, the latter taking a bit of
effort as the interfaces to ssl have changed.  Zope starts, serves the
initial screen, and things die.  It's not even possible to get to the
management screen.  The left frame comes up all right, the right doesn't
display although the GETs show in the log.

The LD_ASSUME_KERNEL variable seems to have no effect on Zope's behavior.

Running without Pound seems to fare better, so the real thread problem may
lie with Pound.

Anyone encountered similar problems and solved them?