[Zope] SQL Queries, DTML Methods and XML-RPC

Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Fri Aug 8 18:07:57 EDT 2003

Ah, turns out Python Scripts also behave like methods!

Never mind :)

J.F.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
[mailto:Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca]
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2003 4:32 PM
To: zope at zope.org
Subject: [Zope] SQL Queries, DTML Methods and XML-RPC

Hello,

After some research, I've still not come up with any great solution to this
problem (Though I did see a few things on the web, archives, etc ...)

I would like to have methods callable through XML-RPC that return the result
of SQL queries (Z SQL Methods).

So far, the best luck I've had is by using a DTML Method.

The big problem is that DTML Method doesn't take positional parameters ...
(In hind sight, this is probably is shortfall of DTML Methods ... if they're
really "methods", then they should take parameters through aparameter list,
much like Python Scripts ... no? ). Anybody know a way around this?

One other option I have thought of so far: Since DTML Methods are methods of
their folders, I could do the same through a product: create a fodlerish
type and extend it with my own methods, which will then be available through
XML-RPC. This is more painful to create and manage, not only for the obvious
reasons, but because I may have many methods I wants to create for XML-RPC
access, and constantly creating new folderish types for that pupose isn't
very elegant or sustainable. Also did I not hear there' sissue with calling
SQL Methods from product code ? I'll look into that.

Does anybody have any better way to do this? Any suggestions would be much
appreciated!

Thanks,

Jean-François Doyon
Internet Service Development and Systems Support
GeoAccess Division
Canadian Center for Remote Sensing
Natural Resources Canada
http://atlas.gc.ca