[Zope] WebDAV Locking and Versioning

Charlie Jones charlie.jones at cadence-technologies.com
Wed Aug 13 16:42:50 EDT 2003

We are using Plone as an intranet for the company I work for.
Something clicked the other day, and I figured out that we could use
WebDAV to access folders for creating and editing standard files (Word,
Excel, etc.).  So I started the process of looking into this.  I have
managed to get my OS X machine to access folders via WebDAV and I can
create and edit files without a hitch.

While looking through various documentation I have seen proposals
suggesting that Zope should use the versioning and locking features of
the WebDAV protocol.  What I haven't found is proof that these items
have been integrated into Zope.  I realize that the client needs to
also implement these features.  So my questions are:

- Does Zope provide a means to lock and/or provide version control on
objects being edited via WebDAV?

- If so, is there some source of documentation that provides more
detail?

- Is it a 1 user to 1 object locking or can multiple people edit the
same document?

- Again, if this is possible which clients are people using on OS X and
Windows?

Any help or insight on this topic would be much appreciated.

thanks,

charlie