[Zope] Re: WebDAV Locking and Versioning

Larry J. C. Prikockis larry_prikockis at natureserve.org
Wed Aug 13 16:58:12 EDT 2003

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:42:50 -0400, Charlie Jones wrote:

> We are using Plone as an intranet for the company I work for. Something
> clicked the other day, and I figured out that we could use WebDAV to
> access folders for creating and editing standard files (Word, Excel,
> etc.).  So I started the process of looking into this.  I have managed
> to get my OS X machine to access folders via WebDAV and I can create and
> edit files without a hitch.
>
> While looking through various documentation I have seen proposals
> suggesting that Zope should use the versioning and locking features of
> the WebDAV protocol.  What I haven't found is proof that these items
> have been integrated into Zope.  I realize that the client needs to also
> implement these features.  So my questions are:
>
> - Does Zope provide a means to lock and/or provide version control on
> objects being edited via WebDAV?

As I understand it: Locking, yes!   Versioning, no-  at least not "out of
the box".

> - If so, is there some source of documentation that provides more
> detail?

you might want to look at the ExternalEditor product, since it basically
utilizes the stuff you speak of above to provide a very flexible way for
non-Zopistas to edit whatever sort of content they need to in their
preferred environment.