[Zope] Which Linux would be the best to install the following combination

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Fri Aug 15 03:37:05 EDT 2003

On Thursday 14 August 2003 05:00 pm, Anand Shah wrote:
> I would like to install Zope on a linux server.
> I will need the following minimum...
> Python 2.2
> Zope 2.7 or greater?
>
> Which Linux should be the one i should use... if assuming, that Red
> hat 9 has problems with zope by default.

I use source-installations on a Debian system for development, and
my production site is hosted on a FreeBSD machine at http://imeme.net .
I don't really like the FreeBSD server -- it seems to have a number of
small problems with Python and/or Zope, and I always seem to have
problems transferring my product to it.  OTOH, that's a useful compatibility
test, which is probably good for me and the product both.

Because I installed Python and Zope from source specifically for this
task, I don't think it really mattered much which Linux it was.

I don't think I would use the Debian-packaged version of Zope
for anything serious, but the platform as a whole is very nice.  I think
my server is still running 2.2 "Potato", but most of my machines are
running 3.0 "Woody" right now.

Actually, I consider it a good rule of thumb to use packaged
versions of software you simply use, and source-installations for
anything you do development on. That makes life a lot easier
when you inevitably have to patch or upgrade to the newest
version of some critical library.  The development system is always
going to be on the "bleeding edge" in the original sense of the
term.  It's also easier to decide which versions of your dependencies
that you're going to support. ;-)

I don't think there are really that many people who've actually
run many different Linux distributions -- most people seem to stick
to the one they started with.  That makes comparisons difficult:
I think Red Hat is really goofy, but that may be more a function
of how little time I've spent using it than any serious failing of its
design.

Cheers,
Terry