[Zope] get full pathname file from form

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Tue Aug 19 23:20:40 EDT 2003

Michael Bleijerveld wrote at 2003-8-19 16:44 +0200:
 > I want to upload a file with this form.
 >
 > <FORM ACTION="upload_file" METHOD="POST" ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data">
 >
 > <INPUT TYPE="FILE" NAME="FILE" > <INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT" VALUE="Upload"
 > NAME="ACTION" >
 >
 > </FORM>
 >
 > To check the size with os.path.getsize(file) I need the filename with the
 > whole path.
 >
 > How can I get this from the form variables ?

Others already told you that the client side file path
will not help you (as, in general, you will not be able to
access the file).

When Zope starts to handle your request, ZServer has
already uploaded your complete file to a temporary file
on your server. Depending on the file size, this can take
quite long.

You can use the file methods "seek(0,2)" (positions at the end of the file)
and "tell()" (returns the current position) to determine the files
size. Do not forget to reposition at the start of the file
("seek(0") when you want to process it.

Dieter