[Zope] Re: Charset HTTP header switched to UTF-8. Bug or feature ?

Gilles Lenfant gilles at pilotsystems.net
Fri Aug 29 18:10:32 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Maik Jablonski" <maik.jablonski at uni-bielefeld.de>
To: <zope at zope.org>
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2003 4:41 PM
Subject: [Zope] Re: Charset HTTP header switched to UTF-8. Bug or feature ?

> Gilles Lenfant wrote:
> > There's a strange thing in a iso-8859-1 (natural) charset site Zope
2.6.1
> > powered...
> >
> > A form is summitted (POST) to a TTW python script.
> > At the end of the script, after form validation ...
> >
> > <sample>
> > return context.sometemplate(param1=value1, ...)
> > </sample>
> >
> > The "sometemplate" is published with this HTTP header :

> > When nowhere in my scripts/templates, I stated to use that charset.
> > You can imagine the ugly things that are displayed :-/
>
> Does your script call a manage_*-method (manage_changePropeties for
> example, which alway sets the management-charset to UTF-8 since Zope
> 2.6.1) or does it catalog an item?

Hi Maik,

You're right...
When the page is POSTed from a form, the script makes some
manage_changeProperties(...). I got to explicitely reset that charset to
iso-8859-1 in the RESPONSE to get rid of this ugly display on non ASCII
characters like é, ç, à (...).
This is a strange choice. Zope "natural" charset is supposed to be
iso-8859-1 and should always use that charset without further programmer
notice.

Cheers

--Gilles