[Zope] searching and serving large textfiles ~120 Mb

Peter Sabaini peter at sabaini.at
Tue Dec 9 03:41:27 EST 2003

Stefan H. Holek wrote:
> FWIW, ExtFile only serves one chunk at a time and does not load the
> entire file into RAM. Don't know about LocalFS though.
>
> Stefan

Not true. ExtFile-1.1.3 *does* load the whole file into RAM prior to
serving it. Take a look at ExtFile.index_html() -- the file gets loaded
into an StringIO object and then the contents of this StringIO object
are returned.

That doesn't matter for smaller files, but serving eg. videos like this
could be getting expensive. Try it -- load a 500Mb AVI and watch your
mem usage soar :-)

  - peter.