[Zope] Re: Zope broken - can't restart

Dennis Godfrey dennis at likebunnies.com
Wed Dec 10 14:38:02 EST 2003

Thanks to Kirk Lowery, I have figured out why I could not start
the zope server. This appears to be a debian problem, but perhaps
others have it, too.

In order to start zope, /var/lib/zope/instance/default/var needs
to be owned by root with the sticky bit set. As soon as I made
this change, there was much joy in our collab group.

However, I am now unable to pack ZODB. That generates a 'permission
denied' for trying to write to that directory. This is how I got
into trouble in the 1st place - when I installed PloneCollectorNG,
I got a 'permission denied' message and had to change ownership of
that directory to zope.

So, in order to start zope, the directory needs to be owned by root.
In order to, for example, pack ZODB, the directory needs to be
owned by zope.

Kirk has filed a bug @ bugs.debian.org

dennis - have gudulka, will travel
http://KafanaKlub.com