[Zope] help with restrictedTraverse

Ruben Montejano rubemontejano at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 17:24:44 EST 2003

Hi everybody,

   The task I am trying to accomplish is to be able to call an object(it could
be a dtml method, python script, php document, etc), given its path as a string
parameter.
   Let's say my directory structure looks like this:
/-+-Plone-+-homepage
          +-reports-+-Site1
                    +-Site2-+-myObject
                    +-...
          +-...

    I need to call myObject, which path is '/Plone/reports/Site2/', from any
other directory within the directory structure, but at this time I'm using
homepage.

    Browsing the mailing list I found that I could use restrictedTraverse, so
I created an External Method getObject under the homepage directory with the
following code:

def getObject( self ):
    return self.restrictedTraverse('/Plone/reports/Site2/myObject')

myObject in this case is a php document that contains:
<?php
include "http://2ksvr/ploneSupp/lines.php?wk=2002-06-01";
?>

Now using the External Method from the homepage's index_html:
<dtml-var getObject>

This is what I get, instead of the chart that this object displays:
<?php include "http://2ksvr/ploneSupp/lines.php?wk=2002-06-01"; ?>

I also tried creating a python script with the following code:
return container.restrictedTraverse('/Plone/pig_reports/test_farrowing/crChart')

but the script returns this:
&lt;?php
include &quot;http://2ksvr/ploneSupp/lines.php?wk=2002-06-01&quot;;
?&gt;

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas or help is more than welcome.
Thanks,

       Ruben Montejano.
       email: rubemontejano at yahoo.com

Ruben Montejano.