[Zope] ZServer crash, Zope 2.6.2b3 RH9

Dennis Allison allison at sumeru.stanford.EDU
Fri Dec 12 13:00:02 EST 2003

RH9 has had major problems with programs that use threads.  I just
experienced a server crash (ouch!) which looks like it may be due to
RH9 threading, but I am not sure.  And, of course, there's not much to go
on in the logs, there's no chance of reproducing the situation, etc.

Basically Zope died at line 241 in ZServer/HTTPResponse.py.  This is in
the __init__ method of the ChannelPipe class (and "Experimental" pipe
from ZPublisher to a ZServer Channel).  The error was

ZServer Server Error: exception.TypeError, attribute name must be a
string: file: $SOFTWAREHOME/ZServer/HTTResponse.py line: 241

repeated many times.

ZServer eventually tries to close the channel (uncaptured Python
exception), but the error persists.  Shutdown of Zope was normal and
restarting cleared the problem.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?  I'll file a bug report
on it if it happens again.