[Zope] Changing the Appearance of a Local File System Object

J. Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Mon Dec 15 15:58:44 EST 2003

Asad Habib wrote:

>Hello. Thanks for your input. I have one more question. Could I not just
>use DTML instead of TAL for this purpose? The <dtml-in> tag achieves the
>same thing as <tal:repeat> and since I am doing nothing more than just
>displaying some of the properties of local file objects(while hiding or
>ignoring other properties) that lie within a Local FS object, I don't feel
>the great need to use TAL. TAL does have the nice quality of separating
>logic from presentation but the logic involved in this case is on the
>light side unless I am mistaken. Anyone's input and help on this matter
>would be greatly appreciated.

You seem to think that DTML is significantly easier or lighter that ZPT,
or that there's some overhead. I don't find that to be the case.
(There's some overhead to learning to do something new, but remember
that the best way to learn is to start with simple tasks.)

I say: pick what you will generally use and do it with that. I don't
think the differences between the two templating languages lend
themselves to specific problem domains, at least within XMLish markup.
(DTML may be preferred for some non-XMLish templating, though I continue
to be less and less convinced of this.)

          --jcc

--
"My point and period will be throughly wrought,
Or well or ill, as this day's battle's fought."