[Zope] Zope 2.6 traceback problems

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sat Dec 20 06:53:36 EST 2003

Jesse D'Aguanno wrote at 2003-12-17 15:36 -0800:
>I recently moved a number of production servers from Zope 2.5.1 to 2.6.2, I'm
>trying to figure out why the tracebacks are so different in the 2.6 tree. I do
>know that error messages and tracebacks are now available in the /error_log
>object (That took me a bit of mailing list archive digging :), but I'm
>referring to the actual content of the tracebacks. In 2.5.1 my tracebacks would
>tell me the actual zope object and most of the time the line number where zope
>was encountering a problem.

The pre-Zope 2.6 tracebacks have been optimized for DTML but were
bad for PageTemplates. As PageTemplates became mainstream, for Zope 2.6,
Shane overhauled the traceback generation and optimized
them for PageTemplates. Unfortunately, the overhaul lost
the DTML optimizations.

I have a small patch such that the modern traceback at least tells
the name of a DTML object. Almost surely, it would not be difficult
to extend the traceback generation to provide the former
additional information -- but we rarely work with DTML nowadays.
Therefore, the need was not pressing enough for me to investigate...

--
Dieter