[Zope] Stopping zope??

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 20:58:25 +0100

George Siemens wrote at 2003-2-3 10:55 -0600:
 > I'm going for the "simplest/dumbest" question of the year award:
 >
 > How do I stop zope?
 >
 > I just set it up on Red Hat Linux...and after running "./start &" the server
 > is up and running. I've now added CMF and would like to shut it
 > down/restart. Can't do it. I've tried from the ZMI control panel (error
 > message)
That's the easiest way to shutdown Zope.

Ignore the error message. It's an artefact because Python
raises a "SystemExit" exeption when "sys.exit" (Python's shutdown function)
is called.
No one gave this exception special treatment. Therefore, you
see it reported.

 > ...and from the linux prompt (I'm new to linux, but I tried:
 > "./stop" (and every conceivable variation) and get a "./stop: kill: (24799)
 > no such pid" message).
This means either, that Zope is already stopped (e.g. because your
ZMI action has been successful) or that the PID found
in "var/Z2.pid" no longer describes the correct Zope process
(the feature is a bit brittle).

 What am I doing wrong?
Almost surely, you simply got confused by the (stupid) error
message...

Dieter