[Zope] SSO using Zope?

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 21:14:11 +0100

Please stay on the list...

Andrew Kennel wrote at 2003-2-3 11:18 -0800:
 > >  With "sign-in" do you mean "log-in" and not "register"?
 > >
 > I was afraid that I wasn't being clear.  Let me describe our situation,
 > that may explain things.  We have several different web-based
 > applications, including timecard, e-mail, documentation, discussions,
 > etc.  All of these applications are housed on seperate servers, each
 > with their own user lists.  So, you might logon to your e-mail as
 > dieter, while for the timecard you will login as diet1.
 >
 > Obviously this is annoying for our users, and is something we're looking
 > to fix.  Until then, we hit upon the idea of a central web portal that
 > could hide this from our users.  What we want is a server that our users
 > log onto that will remember their various login names and passwords for
 > the other applications.  All the user has to do is logon once, the
 > portal passes their login name/password to the other servers.
 >
 > There are several commercial portals out there offering this function.
 > I was hoping to save my company some expense, and pick up some new
 > skills for myself at the same time.
I do not know any product in Zope that would do that for you.

The difficult part is not inside Zope.

   You will need interfaces between the Zope based intranet application
   and all your severs, unless the servers themselves are
   intranet based and sufficiently customizable that
   they can hook into an SSO scheme.

Carefully look at the commercial portals and the services they support
(out of the box). I expect much integration work also for
commercial portals that claim to handle that seemlessly...

Dieter