[Zope] XMLRPC vs. WWW i.e. dots or slashes

toman toman@marge.cyber-dyne.com
Tue, 04 Feb 2003 16:15:24 -0800

I have a set of folders containing various versions of a project which
are named x.y.z , where x,y,z are integers. This naming convention works
fine for through the web management because the URL path separator is
'/' . In fact Files or Images named <base>.<suffix> work great too.
However, if I try to work with these Folders programatically via
XMLRPC I get errors because xmlrpc.py is replacing all dots with
slashes, and the folders x/y/z don't exist. Now OK, I realize the
XMLRPC spec leaves method naming up to the server, that's fine.
But if that's the case, and Zope internally uses dots as a separator,
then why can I use dots in ids and they work in the web interface, and
is there any way out of my current predicament short of making
hierarchies of folders x/y/z etc. or creating a proxy method that
does something like
getattr(getattr(<root object>,'x.y.z'),'method')(params), which is
fairly ugly? Any way to escape my dots ?

					J. Toman