[Zope] Volatile variables Problem

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 15:46:36 +0100

Antonio Beamud Montero wrote:

> Can Gadfly be my solution?

Don't know, but I strongly suspect Gadfly uses the ZODB too, so ...
> really the only value I save is the status of
> some machines that I'm monitoring... I have an external daemon than
> obtains the machine status and update this volatile variables to
> rendering in dtml...

Write it in an external file, the ExternalMethod to write/read from that
file should be really easy. Or, reverse the direction, i.e. instead of
pushing the number to the zope server, just pull the actual number (via
an ExternalMethod) from you monitoring server when the page to show that
number is requested - this seems more logical to me anyway. There you
could use volatile attributes to cache the number(s).

> How I can configure ZODB to only maintains one or two last object states
> and not grows to the infinite..?

You set up a (cron-) job to pack the database regularly, I don't think
there's another solution if you want to use FileStorage (the default) as
the underlying database backend for the ZODB.

cheers,
oliver