[ADMIN] Plea for sanity (was:Re: [Zope] Re: full-text retrieval app)

Ed Leafe ed@leafe.com
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 06:49:31 -0500

On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 10:34  PM, Martijn Pieters wrote:

>> 	To the list admins - why should we constantly have to deal with
>> 	this? Please change the default to "Reply to List", no matter what
>> the
>> folks at Mailman think. It makes no sense for the default to be the
>> action
>> you *don't* want.
>
> Except where the default is what others *do* want. It is a question of
> gaining experience with your mail program and lists in general,
> whatever the
> default is anyway.

	If someone posts a question, how do you know if they have received an
answer yet? I would say that for questions I've posted, well over half
of the replies were off-list. Many of those times, someone had already
answered me; the second poster could have saved their time if they knew
that an answer was already given.

	And on a design point, if I ever developed an application and gave it
defaults that required my users to "gain experience" in order to learn
not to use the defaults, I would not be in business long. I also host
lists for thousands of users, with "reply to list" as the default, and
have not run into any problems as a result.

> I personally prefer the current setup, and I know others do too.
> Besides, if
> I change the default now, it'd confuse all the veteran posters too. I
> see no
> compelling reason yet to make a change at the moment.

	I don't see why "veterans" would have any more trouble adapting to
such a change than newbies would have adapting to the current system.
And why do you prefer to receive two copies of every reply to any post
you make?

      ___/
     /
    __/