[ADMIN] Plea for sanity (was:Re: [Zope] Re: full-text retrieval app)

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 09:18:41 -0800

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 12:45:46AM +1100, Anthony Baxter wrote:

> > 	If someone posts a question, how do you know if they have received an
> > answer yet? I would say that for questions I've posted, well over half
> > of the replies were off-list. Many of those times, someone had already
> > answered me; the second poster could have saved their time if they knew
> > that an answer was already given.
>
> Look, the simple answer to this is that all decent mail reading software
> gives you the choice to either reply directly to the poster, or to the
> poster and the list, or to the list.

What is "all decent mail reading software?"
Apparently a number of zope@zope.org subscribers do not have
such software. As long as we are playing the "who are you to say" game:
Who are you to tell them they should change their mail reader?

I'm on a number of lists that set Reply-to: and we simply do not
have these discussions there. Zope lists are the only ones I'm on where
I routinely get personal replies that were apparently intended
for the list, and routinely see threads about this same topic
over and over.

+1 on Reply-to. I regard this as optimizing for the common case. :)

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com