[Zope] Reducing Zope Memory Usage

george donnelly list@zettai.net
Thu, 06 Feb 2003 20:48:46 -0500

[Jonathan Mark wrote (jonathansamuel@yahoo.com) on 2/6/03 7:45 PM]

> I have a small Zope/Squishdot installation which runs
> behind Apache. Zope/Squishdot is the only thing that I
> use the site for. Almost no one visits it.
>
> Yet my ISP (imeme) says I use an average of 120MB of
> memory, which it says is twice what I should be using.
>
> Is there some way I can adjust the settings on my Zope
> installation so that I use less average memory? What
> are the tradeoffs involved?

Try these options:

1. pack the ZODB regularly (lessens your undo options)

2. minimize the cache regularly (may use slightly more proc time)

3. restart zope regularly (occasional brief (60-120 seconds) downtime as
Zope and ZEO restart)

4. keep as many images and files out of the ZODB as possible (some
inconvenience)

5. move to a Zope ISP that gives you a realistic memory allocation wrt to
the environment they demand you run and does not penalize you for growth.
(all upside) ;P

<-->
george donnelly - http://zettai.net/ - "We Love Newbies" :)
Zope Hosting - Dynamic Website Design - Search Engine Promotion
Yahoo, AIM: zettainet - ICQ: 51907738 - e:george@zettai.net