[Zope] Security in the "File Server" example

Ian Firmin ianf@ijfirmin.co.uk
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:07:34 -0000

Hi All,
I have a site based on the "File Server" example given in the default zope
installation. If you view /Examples/FileServer/Files you will see a list of
files and be given the opportunity to upload a new file. The perl scripts
and header info etc are contained in the /Examples/FileServer directory. I
have no problem adding users, folders and files, the problem is that I want
to restrict access to some of the folders, say allow user1 to access the
/Examples/FileServer/Files/1 subdirectory but not be able to see the
/Examples/FileServer/Files/private subdirectory. I can't use the classical
heirarchical security format and create the user "user1" in the
"/Examples/FileServer/Files/1" subdirectory as "user1" needs to see into the
"/Examples/FileServer/Files" subdirectory to access the scripts etc. I've
temorarily solved the problem by using roles. The user subdirectories
/Examples/FileServer/Files/1, /Examples/FileServer/Files/2 etc do not aquire
their security settings. A role is created for each user and that role given
the required access in each subdirectory. This is very inelegant but I can't
seem to do it any other way. Any thoughts would be appreciated,
Kind regards
Ian