[Zope] Problem with if-modified-since / caching and ExtFile product

HenriciT@amann-online.de HenriciT@amann-online.de
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 21:00:42 +0100

Hi all,

we are using the ExtFile product in our ZOPE intranet project. All in all
its working pretty good (just adding some blah blah sugar) but, we have
problems with the caching of the external files that are used in ZOPE
through this product.

What happens is this:

Even though the "if-modified since" attribute in the GET request of our
squid proxy equals the "last-modified" attribute of the external file object
in the ZOPE database, the ZServer returns a 200 OK value (and as such, the
file is transimtted again, though there's no need for this, since it wasn't
modified.)

The correct return code of the ZServer should be 304/not modified. Since all
our "normal" images (not inserted via ExtImg) are treated in this correct
way, we assume that this behaviour might be related to the ExtFile code. In
the "extfile.py" source, there's a section that would return a "304" return
code, so it seems that the product could handle things correctly. The sad
thing of cause is, that in our case it doesn't...

We found the " ExtFile-1.1.3.patch3 " by shh, in which some changes were
also made to the handling of the "if-modified-since" handling (or so it
sees).

Unfortuneatly we could not use the patch on our productive Windows NT
installation of zope, it simply doesn't seem to work.

Well, after a long day of tracking down the problem I'm rather frustrated...
and so I'm asking you for help. Maybe the problem is known (or the mistake
we have in our setup) is known and you could provide us an answer.

Many thanks and best regards

Thorsten

Thorsten Henrici
Tel.: +49 (0) 7143/277-302