[Zope] Zope: 5.4, jboss 0.3 million hits with google

David Shaw spam2@theresistance.net
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 23:37:51 -0500

--Apple-Mail-5-231878502

> Google has 5.4 millions hits for zope and 0.3 million hits for
> jboss. I don't think this results is objective. I know a lot of people
> who know jboss but have never heard of zope.
>
> Although off topic, does some have a clue why google likes zope more
> than jboss?

Well, Zope is a one-of-a-kind.  In the python world, Zope is THE web
application server.  In the java world, there is WebLogic, WebSphere,
WebObjects, JBoss, Resin, tomcat, jetty, Netscape Enterprise, etc.

The java market is huge.  Because java has had so much marketing muscle
behind it, there is a lot more competition than in the python world.
But the tools provided by a J2EE server are VERY different from what
you get with Zope.  Zope is really a app server/dev toolkit, whereas
J2EE servers are app server/database connection pooler.    Zope has
some real strengths (ZCatalog, for example), but it has some weaknesses
as well.  It's a LOT easier to get an app up in Zope for the first time
than in a J2EE server, and for small users, it's a lot easier to
maintain as well.

As far as scalability, Zope and ZEO are great, but J2EE and EJBs are
light years ahead in the scalability and failover categories.  We use
WebLogic at work, and it's one of the 800 lb. gorillas in the java
market.  It's a beast to configure and use, but it's got a lot of
features built in (clustering, database connection pooling, node
manager for remotely starting and stopping servers, message queues for
MDBs, automatic, distributed software installation across all nodes in
a cluster, etc).

Zope (and python) could really benefit from some of the features
WebLogic and java offer.  Databases are a really good example.
Databases on zope/python are too hard to set up and configure.  With
java, you download the db's JDBC driver, put it in your classpath,
reference it by name, and off you go.  With zope/python, every database
requires downloads, C compiles, configuration, and some prayer that the
developer tested on your platform.
--Apple-Mail-5-231878502

<excerpt>Google has 5.4 millions hits for zope and 0.3 million hits for

jboss. I don't think this results is objective. I know a lot of people

who know jboss but have never heard of zope.

Although off topic, does some have a clue why google likes zope more

than jboss?

</excerpt>

Well, Zope is a one-of-a-kind.  In the python world, Zope is THE web
application server.  In the java world, there is WebLogic,
</fontfamily>JBoss, Resin, tomcat, jetty, Netscape Enterprise, etc.