[Zope] Java re-invents DTML :-)

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario@ita.chalmers.se
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 07:51:22 +0100

From: "Ausum Studio" <ausum_studio@hotmail.com>
> > Maybe you should write the inventor of this very complicated way of
> > doing scripting and say "Hey, we tried that. It's a bad idea." :)
>
> Yes, for many applications. For many others DTML is a strong language that
> will do the job that page templates couldn't. So my humble recommendation
> to newbies is don't forget to learn DTML. Some day you will rediscover it.
>
> http://www.zope.org/Members/ausum/CMFPortlets/Docs/readme_052/index_html#c

Sonce so many people are bashing DTML nowadays I feel the need to +1 on this
and on the referenced article.

When looking into customising Plone and CPS for instance, I find that many
ZPT pages look to be as hard and tedious to follow as some of the my own bad
DTML pages are.

This is no bashing of ZPT mind you, I just think that if DTML is being
misused, then it isn't DTML's fault. And I am sure that ZPT can be misused
in a similar manner.

/dario