[Zope] Re: Java re-invents DTML :-)

Maik Jablonski maik.jablonski@uni-bielefeld.de
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 16:12:41 +0100

Kevin Carlson wrote:
> Come on folks.  There's nothing wrong with supporting two templating
> languages.  Quite honestly, dtml is much easier to learn for most and
> has it's place in application development -- just as ZPT does.
> DTML and ZPT both have a place in Zope.  Deciding which one to use
> should be left up to the individual.

+1

I like DTML, because it's easy to use and to teach to beginners... and
in many circumstances DTML is the only chance to do important things
without hacking up some nasty "mixed-presentation/logic"-PythonScripts
(e.g. generate formated reports and mails out of your ZODB, don't try
this with ZPT...;)).

If you've mastered the "namespace-thing" in DTML, it's a very flexible
and powerful template-language. People should be encouraged to seperate
design and logic (in any template-language), but not to drop DTML.

The only argument for dropping DTML would be if ZC says it don't has the
manpower to support it furthermore... If this would be the case, we
should found a DTML-User-Group (the DUG) which will maintain DTML in the
future...:)

Cheers, Maik