[Zope] Serving video out of Zope

alet@unice.fr alet@unice.fr
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 07:36:49 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 05:25:51PM -0800, Dennis Allison wrote:
> It looks like we'll need to serve streaming Dvideo out of Zope in some
> generally playable format (IE, Mozilla, Opera, etc.) on a variety of
> platforms (Wintel, MACS (MacOS 8.6, 9, 10), Linux, etc.).  The format's
> somewhat open, but since bandwidth is a consideration and the video
> streams are significant (an hour to 90 minutes), MPEG is probably not
> a first choice.  It's been suggested that the right control language
> might be SMIL.  Anyone have experience in this arena they'd be willing
> to share.  What works?  What are the hidden gotchas?

Here (University of Nice) we use RealServer which serves both video
files and SMIL files, while the best would probably be to create SMIL
files on-the-fly with Zope.

Zope is actually only used for "presentation" only wrt audio/video
sessions, and generates a page with links to the audio/video stream
and an associated IRC channel for instant feedback during live
sessions.

We plan to use Zope to control audio/video sources (RS232 grids)
and also move (pan/tilt) cameras via an AXIS 2400 video server,
but I'm still waiting for this to be delivered...

bye,

Jerome Alet