[Zope] Re: Java re-invents DTML :-)

Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:08:58 -0800

What you need to keep in mind, though, is the following:

- For most html coders, path-based expressions are easier to grasp.  The
suggestion that DTML support this is actually quite a good idea, but as it
is now, it doesn't.
- Lower risk: code people have less worry about code being messed with by
those that design.
- Excessive tagging (dtml-with) for namespace traversal is confusing to
non-programmers, who do not understand the intricacies of namespaces.  A
path is much more natural.
- Most HTML developers do not validate their code.  ZPT forces well-formed
code to be used, and HTML developers not to have bad habits.
- ZPT is well-documented for starters, but only if you know where to start
looking. I have photocopies of the Dr. Dobbs article by Amos on ZPT (DDJ,
Feb. 2002. I have used whiteout to correct one code-snippet typo on p. 69).
I'm pretty sure that CMP sells back-issues of DDJ, it's worth geting a copy.
Designers new to ZPT can look through this article to get a pretty quick
start, IMHO.
- ZPT is better for the interaction between coders and designers - both
ways.  I as a coder need to sometimes put a bit of functionality into a
template, but I don't want to break the design.  ZPT prevents techies from
breaking design work.

All these things considered, even if DTML is better for some individuals,
ZPT is a better bet for an organization with diverse players and team
projects.

Sean