[Zope] Creating an e-mail interface for issue tracker...

Dylan Reinhardt zope@dylanreinhardt.com
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:50:18 -0800

At 10:19 AM 2/20/2003, Meehan, Francois wrote:
>OK, I should write a script in Python for that. I think I can find info for
>the URL post, but I am lost when it comes to Zope; I don't know how to
>address Zope objects, their properties and methods from python, do you know
>of site for examples???

This would be a great time to check out The Zope Book for the basic
overview of how Zope handles incoming HTTP requests:
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/current

In a nutshell, Zope uses URLs to call methods of objects it publishes, eg:

http://server/object/method

will call method of object.  It may also call method in the context of
object, but you'll learn about that as you read the book.  :-)

Parameters are passed in by using standard POST or GET techniques.

This is the very easiest way to interface with Zope.  Once you understand
how Zope works in general and how the product you're using works in
particular, it shouldn't be too difficult to script an HTTP interaction
that creates the behavior you're looking for.

Go ahead and jump in and let us know if/when you encounter specific problems.

Dylan