[Zope] Structured text is inconvenient esp. w BackTalk

Asad Quraishi aquraishi@skyesystems.com
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 16:00:00 -0500

I agree with your analysis on STX, programmers, and end-users.  I am
looking for an editing solution that is user-friendly for non-technical
users.

Does the IE WYSIWYG editor produce STX?  Is it producing HTML and
delivering via WEBDAV?  I'd love to know which editor your are using,
why & how you are using it.

Thanks.

Luciano Ramalho wrote:

> [...]
> very dificult to understand and use Structured Text.
>
> Grokking STX requires thinking about computerized text in a way that
> makes no sense to most users, although it is very natural for
> programmers. Structuring by indentation, the relevance of whitespace
> and many other STX rules are only "intuitive" for us. Also, to be
> productive in STX you must use a programmer's editor, and they don't
> behave like user's expect. Word and Notepad simply don't work for STX
> editing (auto-indent is missing, for one thing).
>
> After a few failed attempts, we gave up trying to push STX as a
> solution to non-techies. We now use a WYSIWIG editor which
> unfortunately is only IE 5.5/6.0 compatible (this is not a real
> problem  for our intranet clients, who already have standardized
> around IE).
>
> We are actively looking for a Mozilla compatible WYSIWYG editor.
>
> As a final note, I'd like to say that personally I like very much the
> idea of STX and think the current implementation is very useful and
> useable. But I am not a typical end-user at all: believe it or not, I
> am one of the people who invented the "ASCII Ribbon" campaign against
> the use of HTML in e-mails...
>
> ---------
> /"\
> \ /   Campanha da Fita ASCII - Diga NAO ao HTML em emails
>  X   ASCII Ribbon Campaign - Say NO to HTML in email
> / \
> ---------
>
> Luciano
>

> On quarta-feira, fev 26, 2003, at 16:54 America/Sao_Paulo, Asad
> Quraishi wrote:
>
>> Thanks Chris,
>>
>> The reason I am trying to use OO vs. something like emacs is that as
>> we propose the use of Zope/Plone to our clients we want to offer
>> them  a solution which they will understand in the context of a world
>> of  word processors.  It is difficult for someone to convert their
>> word  processor-based training manuals, for example, into a BackTalk
>> book  based on how structured text works.  I don't mind emacs but
>> clients  won't feel quite as comfortable.
>>
>> Any thoughts on this?
>>
>> Chris McDonough wrote:
>>
>>> Structured text has some well-known idiosyncrasies.  One of these is
>>> that a body paragraph is defined as a block of lines followed by a
>>> carriage return where each line is indented to the same number of
>>> characters.  Another is that a "heading" is defined as a single
>>> line  of
>>> text followed by a carriage return and a further-indented block of
>>> text.  Your examples show that you've created something that you think
>>> is a body paragraph, although structured text rules consider it a
>>> heading because it has no line breaks.  Structured text has these
>>> idiosyncrasies because one of its tenets is that its source should
>>> be  as
>>> "human-readable" as its rendering.
>>>
>>> For an example of "correct" structured text formatting, see
>>> ScriptingZope.stx/document_src (and its rendering at