[Zope] newbie - DB connectivity

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@jcameroncooper.com
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 18:13:43 -0600

>I'am running a Linux RedHat 8.0 server with zope-2.6.1.
>
>I wish to connect to a DB on a remote server. It's a Dataperfect DB (running
>on MS DOS).
>
>Is it possible ? Is there an adapter for Dataperfect ? if not, how would you
>do it (without migrating the DB) ?

It's possible, of course, though likely not entirely easy. It's unlikely
a Zope connector exists for it, and I can't even find a Python DB-API
implementation. (In fact, I can't even find an ODBC driver.)

Most likely you'll have to write your own adapter if you want to use it
in Zope. This may or may not be hard, depending on how your database
handles connections and transactions. A very naive implementation might
actually be quite simple: it's in the performance and threading and
transaction issues where things get difficult.

The source of the existing DAs and

http://www.zope.org/Members/petrilli/WritingADA

should be helpful. Also, existing remote connection software can provide
understanding of what you need to do, or even be used (via the Python/C
API) to do some of your work.

In this case, it may be easier to use the Firestorm and your existing
data, but that's massive speculation.

          --jcc
    (massively speculative)