[Zope] Variables: accessing them across several pages

Redding, Matthew Matthew.Redding@dpi.qld.gov.au
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:40:05 +1000

Hi Zope Gurus,

I have been converting an environmental model to
run as a series of forms on the web.  Zope and python seem so far
like the correct tool to be using.

Something is really bamboozling me.
I see that DTML variables can be accessed from DTML document to
document.
I see that there are such things as session variables. I have read about
REQUEST and RESPONSE in the passing of parameters to called python
scripts and
external methods....I have this one working.

But I cannot get my brain around the following:
1.  I output a form to the web (HTML in this case; lets call it
"form1").  It collects several values,
that are submitted to an external python method.
2.  External python method "expy1", does some calculations, returns a
table of values to the web, with a link
to a subsequent form, "Form2".
3.  Submission of "Form2" passes several values to a python script
"internalpy1".
4.   ***Now this is the problem....how can "internalpy1" access the
values collected in "form1"???  If I use DTML
for "form1" instead of html, can I make variables persist easier?

It seems that to publish any page to the web from a python script, is to
halt the python script, since it
must use it's return to do this...is this correct?

I would **really** appreciate your help with this problem, though it is
a total newbie issue, I know.
It has chewed up about four frustrating evenings so far.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Matt Redding

********************************DISCLAIMER****************************
The information contained in the above e-mail message or messages
(which includes any attachments) is confidential and may be legally
privileged.  It is intended only for the use of the person or entity
to which it is addressed.  If you are not the addressee any form of
disclosure, copying, modification, distribution or any action taken
or omitted in reliance on the information is unauthorised.  Opinions
contained in the message(s) do not necessarily reflect the opinions
of the Queensland Government and its authorities.  If you received
this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and
delete it from your computer system network.