[Zope] Lost the battle

Bo M. Maryniuck b.maryniuk@forbis.lt
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 16:21:35 +0200

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 21:44, Grant Rauscher wrote:
>     ZOPE is not fairly unknown in the technology community, it is fairl=
> unknown in the business/advertising/marketing community (if that can be
> called a community - more of a battle arena - community implies sharing=
)

>     J2EE does not perform well compared to ZOPE, or indeed most dynamic
> runtime environments used for server development.

OTOH, using Zope and OpenSource products causes big troubles for develope=
rs,=20
who would not like this document:=20

=09http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html=20

and still want to be simple stupid crapware maker, just to get it payment=
s;=20
who came to the office 9.00 and leave it 18.00 in anyway; who careless fo=
r=20
code quality; who hate read the sources etc. We use Zope and I won the ba=
ttle=20
against J2EE, but... I don't think I'm too happy: I should do *ALL* the j=
ob=20
and still nobody else knows how to deal with Zope.=20

Other, much bigger trouble and issue using Zope -- is all the time someth=
ing=20
missed. For example, we use Oracle and DCOracle2. There is dozen problems=
 to=20
develope really professional things. :( Zope.com claims DCOracle2=20
"professional adapter", but it still does not. Hope, Matt will fix some v=
ery=20
important issues in the next release... More examples: there is only one =
CVS=20
adapter -- ZCVS, which is completed suck. Yes, it works, but only if hack=
er=20
drives it and you work with it VERY carefull. Working with WebDAV via=20
External Editor still causes lot of problems with developers, who works o=
n=20
Windoze workstations (I use Linux all the time, so I don't know problem=20
details :^) Also we will have Zope 3 "soon" -- really usable version (and=
=20
several times patched) will be probably at the end of the 2004. There is=20
still half-finished product Zope 2, but seems that currently all the powe=
r of=20
zope developers are in Zope 3 developing. And finally all Zope 2 products=
=20
will not work with Zope 3, what is really not so cool.

When you turn off your rose eyeglasses, you will see that J2EE is not so =
bad=20
as Python folks describes it, even if there is ugly Java language... Sad,=
 but=20
true. :-(

P.S. All here is my IMHO. If I'm not right, I would like to know it to ma=
ke me=20
more safe. ;-)

--=20
Regards, Bogdan

C gives you enough rope to hang yourself. C++ also gives you the tree
object to tie it to.