[Zope] ExternalEditor, IE and https

Paul Browning paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:35:09 -0000

Hi. Just to report that I've had a number of people
confirm the problem - over https IE fails to
work with ExternalEditor (tested on IE V4, 5 and 6
so the problem has been there a long time which
makes me think that the problem lies with IE and
may not be easily worked around).

A fix may not be possible but I am interested in
a workaround. Here's why:

We are gradually rolling out Zope to a growing number
of users who have unpredictable desktops. We only
allow connections over https to the ZMI. The problem
is a support issue - if an IE user sees the ExternalEditor
pencil icon then they might reasonably expect to click
it and have it work.

Might it be possible to introduce to ExternalEditor
some sort of browser and/or protocol detection so that only
non-IE users see the pencil icon?

Even better, might there be a way of implementing an
ExternalEditor permission on a per folder or per user
basis?

If either/both is technically possible please let me
know - I _might_ be able to find modest funding for
such a development.

Paul

--
 The Library, Tyndall Avenue, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TJ, UK
   E-mail: paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk  URL: http://www.bris.ac.uk/