[Zope] A ZODB storage and Undo machinery issue

Ausum Studio ausum_studio@hotmail.com
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:09:08 -0500

ProductX I'm writing performs the following routine every time an object's
management page is viewed: It checks whether the object's url is already
stored at a record in ProductX object, and also assigns a new hits number
for that record. This means that every time I view a page in the ZMI, a
store procedure is called. (Caller is somewhere on the manage_tabs dtml
file.)

My problem is how to avoid that after a simple view of a page (and
comsecuently a storage procedure is performed) the Undo machinery considers
the current view method as a valid transactioned object. As an example,
just by opening the Properties management window one time and another, the
manage_propertiesForm dtml method appears -in the Undo page- as a valid
transaction in the current pile, as many times as we have clicked the link,
thus disturbing the whole undo machinery. (No undo will work at all).

I'm writing a simple aid for the ZMI, but the need to perform a storage
procedure like this (universal and site-wide) is also shared by people
wanting to perform and show live site stats.

Could anyone point me in the right direction? How to avoid the recording of
any particular transaction?  Thanks in advance,

Ausum