[Zope] The Goblins of Zope

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:31:59 +0100

Paul T \(spk\) wrote at 2003-1-12 19:26 -0800:
 > I belive that :
 >
 > -  everything in Zope depends on ZODB
 > -  ZODB is not rock solid
It is quite solid and it is *very* resilient to data loss,
unless you pack it (and then you have the old unpacked file as backup).

 > "ZODB is not rock solid" needs more comment.
 > ZODB has pretty nice self-recovering abilities.
Almost nothing can go wrong with ZODB and FileStorage:

  Any changes are added at the end of the file (okay,
  Toby reported that ZODB provides features that allow
  modification in the middle, but Zope does not use them).

  You have the complete history, in case you must recover
  (or analyse).

  Desaster recovery means, you cut away some trailing part of the
  "Data.fs"

 > Perhaps there is some utility out there
 > which is devoted to capturing / fixing
 > inconsistensies  in ZODB 'at all costs' ?
 > Some improved version of
 > Manage->ControlPanel->pack ?
There are "ZODB.fsrecover" (for recovery) and "ZODB.fsdump" and
the third party product "tranalyzer" for analysis

 > I tried looking, but found nothing
 > comparable to  "Norton Disk Doctor".
I work under Unix. Therefore, I do not know (and usually
do not need) "Norton Disk Doctor"

Dieter