[Zope] Re: PIL error: decoder jpeg not available

davelehman@loewen.com davelehman@loewen.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:09:10 -0600

--=_alternative 0058B54786256CAE_=

I'm attempting to install PIL under Redhat 7.3, to use in conjunction with
the Photo product. I have gotten it installed and GIFs seem to work fine,
but JPEGs do not. I'm trying to follow the "Using PIL with Zope" document
found at http://www.zope.org/Members/regebro/PIL_zope/.

In Step 2, it instructs me to find out where my jpeglib is located using:
  ld -L/usr/local/lib -ljpeg -nostdlib
  ld -L/usr/lib -ljpeg -nostdlib

Neither of these steps work, but I do have a file called "libjpeg.so.62"
in /usr/lib, which I understand is actually the jpeg library I want. I
also have a "libz.so.1" which i'm going to assume is my Zlib library,
needed in step 1.

OK, so I believe I have both the z and jpeg libraries on my system. I
tried running the configure command from step 3 like this:
  ./configure --with-zlib=/usr/lib --with-jpeg=/usr/local/lib
and it completes with no errors.

Then I edit my Makefile and edit the LIBS= line to:
  LIBS= -L/usr/lib -lz -L/usr/lib -ljpeg -lm

When I run "make", it fails with "cannot find -lz". Since my z library is
actually called "libz.so.1", I then tried changing the Makefile LIBS= line
to "-llibz" and then "-llibz.so.1" but both still failed. So obviously i'm
not grasping how to reference these libraries.

Can someone please point out what i'm obviously missing here?

Regards,
Dave

On 12/22/2002 12:23:41 PM "Lennart Regebro" wrote:

>From: <grifter@loewen.com>
>> 2. If I query RPM, it tells me that I already have jpeglib installed.
>> However, i'm not quite sure what to point at in step 2.
>
>Well, I would be very surprised if it isn't located in one of those two
>locations.
>But you can look for it with find too, it should be called libjpeg.*
>
>find / -name 'libjpeg*' -print
>
>> Or am I  mistaken, and I still need to "install jpeglib"?
>
>An RPM should work fine.

--=_alternative 0058B54786256CAE_=

 &nbsp;ld -L/usr/lib -ljpeg -nostdlib </font>
&gt;From: &lt;grifter@loewen.com&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; 2. If I query RPM, it tells me that I already have jpeglib installed.<br>
&gt;&gt; However, i'm not quite sure what to point at in step 2.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Well, I would be very surprised if it isn't located in one of those two<br>
&gt;locations.<br>
&gt;But you can look for it with find too, it should be called libjpeg.*<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;find / -name 'libjpeg*' -print<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Or am I &nbsp;mistaken, and I still need to &quot;install jpeglib&quot;?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;An RPM should work fine.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;</font>