[Zope] The Goblins of Zope

Charlie Reiman creiman@kefta.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 09:11:24 -0800

ZODB (as used by zope) is not a filesystem and, in fact, is a great deal
simpler. Real FSs have to manage a fixed amount of space, which means they
have fragmentation and free lists to handle. ZODB has no such issues, so
saying it needs a fsck is much like saying /etc/password needs a good fsck.
It doesn't. It's just a linear list of data records. As Zope uses ZODB, it
too is pretty much just a linear list of objects.

That's not to say it's bug free or flawless. But saying it needs a fsck
facility is just not true. Lopping off the end is a fine way to roll back
and a fsck wouldn't do any better.