[Zope] Re: PIL error: decoder jpeg not available

Lennart Regebro lennart@regebro.nu
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 18:25:31 +0100

From: <davelehman@loewen.com>
> In Step 2, it instructs me to find out where my jpeglib is located using:
>   ld -L/usr/local/lib -ljpeg -nostdlib
>   ld -L/usr/lib -ljpeg -nostdlib
>
> Neither of these steps work, but I do have a file called "libjpeg.so.62"
> in /usr/lib

Hmmm. I guess that syntax is BSD specific then. :-/

> OK, so I believe I have both the z and jpeg libraries on my system. I
> tried running the configure command from step 3 like this:
>   ./configure --with-zlib=/usr/lib --with-jpeg=/usr/local/lib
> and it completes with no errors.

Uhm. You say above that your libjpeg.so.62 is in /usr/lib, and then you
should run configure with --with-jpeg=/usr/lib , or it won't work.

> Then I edit my Makefile and edit the LIBS= line to:
>   LIBS= -L/usr/lib -lz -L/usr/lib -ljpeg -lm
>
> When I run "make", it fails with "cannot find -lz". Since my z library is
> actually called "libz.so.1", I then tried changing the Makefile LIBS= line
> to "-llibz" and then "-llibz.so.1" but both still failed. So obviously i'm
> not grasping how to reference these libraries.

Neither am I. :-) The above works for me, I can't give you a reason for it
failing on your machine.

Maybe some real Unix Guru can help?