[Zope] Is Zope the Tool for This Job?

beno zope@thewebsons.com
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 20:18:51 -0400

Hi;
A recently retired programmer has taken me under his wing and we're bidding
a government contract together. His background is low-level languages and
databases whereas I'll be doing the high-level stuff and the Internet
applications. The job involves building an intranet that must be secure and
an extranet: both of which access common records through a database
(probably MySQL). This is for the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). My
partner was running out of town when he grabbed me to tell me about this,
so I only jotted down what was essential for my involvement. It includes:

* Ability to pay for any traffic violation online
* Fee-based title record search
* Ability to view/print records of past transactions
* Ability to print official receipts online
* Provide online registration approval and payment
* Ability to change profile information
* Ability to request personal DMV driving record
* Ability to support multiple languages
* Make online appointment schedules
* Renew driver's license online
* Capable of efficiently handling millions of records

It also includes the ability for law enforcement officials to access
records, communicate the same to the court via VPN, etc.
My question is, is Zope the appropriate vehicle (forgive pun) for such a
project?
TIA,
beno