[Zope] FTP Access via Dreamweaver Can't Create Folders - Some Blame Zopes?

Edward Pollard pollej@uleth.ca
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:16:39 -0700

Ugh.

In our working with Zope, we're moving to let users to create websites
in a user subdirectory of Zope. Most, if not all, are using Dreamweaver
as a development tool.

We have encountered a problem in Dreamweaver where users cannot create
folders in their space. This problem is only in Dreamweaver - not in,
say WS_FTP.

This problem only popped up as we began applying vigourous security  -
during initial development we all used "god" accounts and had no
problems whatsoever. And I believe the problem is caused by a most
peculiar Dreamweaverism.

The site log in Dreamweaver tells me that when I go to create a folder,
the first thing Dreamweaver does is try to move to the root of the FTP
server (CWD \). Now, we've only given our users privilidges in their
user subfolders - they simply cannot move to the root of the FTP server!
Thus the Unauthorized error pop up, and woe is me.

If I go to the root of Zope, and add "FTP Access" as a right to
"Authorized", the problem disappears, but not accounts can run
willy-nilly via FTP all over Zope. This is, of course, useless.

In our Apache web environments, users have read access to the entire
tree above their folder - so Dreamweaver works fine. There does not, to
my mind at least, seem to be any way to grant FTP Read Only access in
Zope.

I'd like to just point the finger at Dreamweaver and claim it to be a
wretched program - but while this very well may be the case, but I'd
also like to make this work.

Thoughts?

Edward