[Zope] Searching For MacOS X Version of Zope.

Bernd Kulawik kulawik@biblhertz.it
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:28:47 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 16.01.03, um 20:40 Uhr (Europe/Rome) schrieb Kevin Gomez:

> I am interested in installing Zope and testing it on my home Mac. I am
> running MacOS X 10.2.3.

I'm running Zope 2.5.1 and 2.6.0 on Mac OSX without (almost - see
below) any problems.
Beside the hint to http://zope-mosx.zopeonarope.com, it might the
useful for you to check out the installer offered on
http://plone.org
(In my case it didn't start from the OSX control interface properly,
that comes with it, so I start it manually from the always-beloved
terminal, but everything else works fine.)

> I currently use Postnuke http://www.postnuke.com as my CMS. Can you
> please explain the difference between the two?

The main difference - IMHO and beside the things that where mentioned
before - is the structure of the both: while Postnuke (AFAIR) is based
on PHP and a relational database management system using SQL, Zope
comes with an object-oriented database (ZODB) and its own web-, ftp-
and webDAV-servers. It is written in Python, an easy-to-learn
object-oriented language, and itself object-oriented. This gives you
some nice features, like inheritance, and the possibility to construct
new kinds of "objects" (resp. "classes", the "templates" for your
objects) in an easy way. So, everything you need for a web portal is
already on hand, especially tools for the membership maintainance: I
suggest trying Plone (or CMF = Content management framework), to see,
how easy it can be :-)
If you need relational database features, it is no problem to put
almost any SQL-DB "behind" Zope: Adapters for almost all relevant RDBMS
are there.
And Zope's page template language helps you to not mix-up content and
presentation, one of the "traps" in PHP ...

So, I hope this may help you in your decision, if not: "Move over to
Zope! Now!" :-)

Bernd

PS: ... and: Zope has a really very, great community of developers and
users.