[Zope] Emacs, TRAMP, and frustration

Tom Emerson tree@basistech.com
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 11:50:41 -0500

Recent versions of GNU Emacs have replaced ange-ftp with tramp, and I
cannot get this to work. Various Google searches have yet to show a
simple explanation of how to make this work.

For example, from my FreeBSD machine (running Emacs 21.2.1 and no
tramp) I can get the listing of the top-level of a Zope development
server with the path:

    /admin@luxor 8021:/

and it works great.

On my laptop (Mac OS X 10.2.3, GNU Emacs 20.3.5.1) this doesn't work:
I cannot connect to a Zope server running locally. Specifying

    /admin@localhost 8021:/

yields an error,

"Not a tramp file name: /admin@localhost 8021:/"

If I use instead

/ftp:admin@localhost 8021:/

I get a message

"tramp: Waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell"

followed by

"Login failed"

about a minute later.

I can see how tramp can be a really nice improvement for many tasks,
but the lossage with using it to attach to ftp sites on non-standard
parts is a Royal PITA.

Has anyone been able to get this to work?

Thanks in advance,

    -tree

Software Architect                                 http://www.basistech.com