[Zope] Large File Support (LFS) in Zope

Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:47:29 -0800

One option, if you are using Linux and able to use ReiserFS is to consider
switching to DirectoryStorage instead of using FileStorage.  This should be
fairly scalable, but is likely a Linux-only solution for now.
http://dirstorage.sf.net  Unless you have very, very big objects, the
file-size issue becomes a non-issue with this approach, and you don't have
to worry about large-file support at all the various layers.

Another option is just to compile python from source with LFS yourself
(search Google for this), and use that python binary to run Zope from
source.

Yet a third option is to use Zope 2.6's binary install, which I believe has
LFS support built-into its python.

For LFS to work, you need a relatively new C library and Linux 2.4 kernel
(though 2.2 kernels work fine on 64 bit platforms).

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Josef Meile [mailto:jmeile@hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2003 12:26 PM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: [Zope] Large File Support (LFS) in Zope

Hi,

last December my Zope crashed because of the large file support or
that's what I found searching on the lists. I got the message:

Aiieee! 2365 exited with error code: 25

In my previous message:

I was told to install a new version of linux and to compile python
with large file support, thing that I did in my original installation:
Suse 7.3, Zope 2.5.1

I didn't install Suse 8 because, as I read, 7.3 comes already with
large file support. (Am I wrong?)

Anyway, I just want to know how the people with large databases
is handling this. (I mean without using LocalFS or similars)

Thanks in advanced,
Josef