[Zope] Zope and Apache

Grant Rauscher grant7@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:42:43 -0800

(might be a FAQ, but it's a good one)

Paul,

    In the past I've used name-based VirtualHosts and mod_proxy (ProxyPass,
ProxyPassReverse) :

http://www.zope.org/Members/anser/apache_zserver/

    However I recently switched from mod_proxy to mod_rewrite for speed and
flexibility.  Ease of use goes down a fair amount with mod_rewrite, the
examples are good (better than the API page!) but don't apply well to this
usage... however, the examples in this How-To for ZOPE are exactly what's
needed :

http://www.zope.org/Members/regebro/Zope_and_Apache/

    I still use VirtualHosts with the mod_rewrite configuration, but turned
ProxyRequests off - so now the server is not an open http proxy.  I'm not
sure that was necessary for the mod_proxy configuration, but it's not very
desirable: once your server is found to be an http proxy it can receive
quite a lot of (extraneous) traffic.

    The only difference on the ZOPE side is using VirtualHostMonster instead
of SiteRoot objects.

    hope this helps.  if you still have difficulty please ask for my Apache
config and other details off-list.

                            Grant K Rauscher
                            2C Productions
                            http://www.2cpro.com/