[Zope] Returning and showing value of a checkbox

Dylan Reinhardt Dylan@DylanReinhardt.com
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:36:42 -0800

At 04:07 AM 1/22/2003, Schmidt, Allen J. wrote:
>"Checkboxes don't have a value attribute." ???
>
>Since when?
>I've been using values on checkboxes since I have been building web
>forms....going on 10 years now... adding checked only determines whether it
>is checked or not be default when the form loads.

Ah, true enough.  I had to go look it up, but you're right. Thanks for
pointing out my goof.

You can assign a value attribute that determines what the *inbound* value
of a checked box will (should) be.  A useless feature, perhaps, but one
that is most surely there.

The value attribute still has nothing to do with whether the box is
displayed as checked or how you catch the data and stuff it in your db...
which still seems to be the problem faced by the original poster.  The OP
was trying to figure out why his forms weren't displaying the correct
"values" for the checkboxes.  Either he needed to know how to check for
their state coming in or how to set it going out.  Ultimately, the value
attribute is germane to neither question and he seemed to expect it to do
stuff it simply doesn't do.

My apologies for any confusion.  I should keep my Pocket Reference out when
I post on HTML.  :-)

Dylan