[Zope] Using Apache instead of Zope server.

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario@ita.chalmers.se
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 07:59:22 +0100

Hi,

AFAIK, it is not usually possible to not use ZServer (Zope's built-in
webserver) when dealing with Zope. Even when you run Zope in CGI-mode,
contents is served with ZServer.

By invoking some Higher Level Wizard Hacker Skills, I believe it is possible
to replace ZServer with, say, the Web-server from the Twisted framework but
I have not heard of it being used in production environments (YMMV).

Perhaps if you describe why you'd want to not use ZServer, there might other
options available. One of the reasons one might not want to use ZServer is
because ZServer has no built-in SSL capabilities.

However, by clever use of rewrite rules in Apache and configuring ZServer to
only to listen to localhost, it is possible to hide and protect ZServer
completely behind Apache or any other Webserver with similar capabilities.

Cheers,

/dario