[Zope] Hardware for Zope + ZEO

Wankyu Choi wankyu@neoqst.com
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 20:18:50 +0900

>> No, but if you look at how, for instance, exUserFolder you can have a =

>> single table called properties that you can use to store info (one=20
>> row per user and property/data snippet). It would also be possible to =

>> use this set up build hierarchies of properties. These can very=20
>> simply be translated to dictionaries.

I did look into exUserFolder when I wrote a userfolder using MySQL. The
problem was, yes, a row per property. That was the reason I gave up on =
it
and wrote my own MySQL userfolder.  A user of mine has about 30 =
varchar/text
properties, which translates into 30 rows. Multiply that by 300,000 ;-) =
It
just seems not that good a solution performance-wise. I could pull a row =
of
user data with one read with the current schema. With exUserFolder, to =
get
the same results as "select * from user_properties where =
userid=3D'wankyu'",
you'd need 30 reads.=20

I'd rather create a new table by copying the existing user table and add =
new
fields. Cumbersome but would be way better in terms of performance. Just =
guesstimation. Correct me if I'm wrong.

>>hehe... I think they are not stupid at all. I agree with you that it=20
>>is very hard to find information on how to use zope in a Very Large=20
>>Scale scenario. So I think they are not stupid at all - IMHO, they=20
>>just haven't been adressed properly previously.

Indeed. I've been after this issue for the past year :-) Nobody seems to
have a definate answer. I'm surprised to find that few has gone that =
path
with Zope. ( Should I go that untrodden path? I get to wonder :-(

Here's my plan anyway (99% sure now):

- ZEO ZSS on ReiserFS with RAID5 enforced + a couple of clients : ZSS =
will
be a single point of failure and it'll be protected by RAID5 setup
- ZSS on DirectoryStorage or AdaptableStorage + content types that can =
store
data in external files and MySQL ( I rewrote all the CMF content types =
and
then some as NeoPortal Content Pak. Will throw in MySQL adapter or =
something
for this. )

I just tested out AdaptableStorage and tried adding a Plone instance. =
Failed
miserabley with a non-picklable object error. No problem with a CMF
instance, though. Guess it'd be a rough uphill battle...sigh...

No other solution seems viable as of now if I want to stick with Zope =
;-) =20

> I am very interested in what you will be able to conclude since I have =

> similar concerns (with about 1/10 of your user base :-)

Well, no matter what solution I settle for, I have to do it in two =
months.
I'll let you know the results. Cross your fingers for me :-)=20

Best Regards,
Wankyu Choi
      To the dedicated staff at NeoQuest, language is not a problem
          to be dealt with, but an art waiting to be performed.
  Wankyou Choi
  CEO/President
  NeoQuest Communications, Inc.
  3rd Floor, HMC Bldg., 730-14, Yoksam-dong, Kangnam-gu
  Seoul, Korea
  Tel: 82-2 - 501 - 7124 Fax: 82-2-501-7058
  Corporate Home: http://www.neoqst.com
  Personal  Home: http://www.zoper.net, http://www.neoboard.net
  e-mail:   wankyu@neoqst.com