[Zope] Re: ZCatalog and Xron

Maik Jablonski maik.jablonski@uni-bielefeld.de
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:38:06 +0100

Luton, Alex wrote:
> I'm in the process of trying to build a reliable, accurate search engine
> using a ZCatalog. In order to keep the catalog contents up to date, I
> added an Xron method to reindex the catalog every hour. This worked fine
> on a small site, but for a site with a catalog of 1300 documents the
> data.fs file grows from a few hundred meg to several gig before long,
> and apache/zope dies. Another problem is that Xron seems to trigger its
> methods as many times as it 'missed' if the server is stopped for a
> while.
> I'm only indexing dtml documents, and the ZCatalog doesn't use any
> metadata or special indexes.
> Are there any ways to prevent the catalog updates being stored in the
> ZODB, so no undo history is saved for the ZCatalog?

Hi,

you should use:

http://www.zope.org/Members/Kaivo/DTMLDocumentExt

to make your Documents CatalogAware... Then you don't have to reindex
all your documents by Xron... each document will reindex itself when it
is changed.

Please note: There's a bug with keyboard-args in DTMLDocumentExt with
manage_changeProperties... please change the according lines in
__init.py__ to:

138: def manage_changeProperties(self, REQUEST=None, **kw):

139:     r = original_changeProperties(self, REQUEST, **kw)

Cheers, Maik