[Zope] exploratory questions

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@jcameroncooper.com
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:46:09 -0500

Michael Teter wrote:

>Thanks for the quick response.
>
>I followed the SimpleUserFolder link, but I don't see any documentation?
>
>I know Postgres can handle lots of volume, I was just unclear what the
>options were for using an external DB for manage auth data instead of me
>having to (programmatically) create Zope users (that would end up in a
>user folder).

Download and decompress it. I'll bet all the docs are in files there,
possibly even the famous README.

Just to be clear: Zope really needs to deal with users in UserFolder
ways. I suppose you could hack something onto the side, and do all your
own authentication, authorization, management, etc. But why?

But a UserFolder needn't be ZODB-backed, and it certainly neen't be the
one shipped with Zope. A user folder can be backed any way someone might
care to program, so with something like XUF or SimpleUserFolder, or even
a (probably fictional) PostgresUserFolder you can have Zope use and
manage your existing store of users, which you can still use and manage
however else you were used to doing it previously.

             --jcc