[Zope] Highly Available Zope

Thu, 17 Jul 2003 08:51:58 +0100

On Wednesday 16 July 2003 20:39, Chris McDonough wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> ZC sells a commercial product named "ZRS" which eliminates a ZEO storage
> as a single point of failure.  See zope.com for more information.

For a free alternative to ZRS, DirectoryStorage supports replication inside
the storage. Its replication capability was originally developed as an online
backup / warm standby solution, but when combined with something like
heartbeat from the linux-ha project it can also provide high availability.

http://dirstorage.sourceforge.net/

I undestand that ZRS can also provide a scalability advantage if you have
read-only ZEO clients; ZRS secondaries can act as read-only ZEO servers.

You may find that DirectoryStorage has other advantages in the broader
'disaster preparedness' context. For example it is the only storage that
applies transaction semantics to incremental backups, it has a very thorough
checking tool, and it has a range of other features providing
fault-tolerance.

--
Toby Dickenson
http://www.geminidataloggers.com/people/tdickenson